Continued from Page One
|Continuing the story of Rich and his 1964 Dodge Polara...|
|Here is the shop where the work is performed.|
|I was troubleshooting and fine tuning.|
|The Poly power was too much for the TorqueFlite.|
I pulled the Poly out.
Some poly and the oiling mods: Randy Beyer at Randy Beyer Race Engines in Gretna Nebraska did the honing, cam bearings, crank polishing and some oiling mods. He drilled the mains for extra oil to the main bearings and installed an aluminum plate above the cam openings to block oil from slinging up under the intake manifold. I am deleting the chain tensioner since it is a new chain and I will drill a small hole in a couple cam retainer bolts for chain oiling.
I decided to make LeRoar into a street-focused driver (LeMew?). So I removed and sold off the dragstrip oriented parts and put on a single four barrel. I mocked up a fule injection intake too for future use.
To review the above 2013 photos, the heads removed were my race heads that Gary P. made. The time line varied from Spring to Fall of 2013. The yellow head gaskets were a failed attempt at more CR by using steel head gaskets. Hence the water pictured in the cylinders and the need to hone, re-ring and put in new bearings. I thought a copper coating would be needed on the steel gaskets but it just turned to slime and they did not seal. Chalk it up to operator error. My Fel-Pro gaskets are fairly bullet proof with just a slight decrease in CR compared with steel.
Currently I have a very wimpy little air cleaner on the Holley 2bbl carb. I will install a new 4bbl manifold asap and ditch the 2bbl stuff! At least the Dodge is mobile this way, albeit UGLY.